Disability Awareness - Online
Personal Effectiveness, Work Processes
E, D & I Awareness
All staff who want to improve their awareness and understanding of disability.
Approximately £100 per day per delegate. Charges depend on how many delegates book.
To enable participants to improve their awareness of different disabilities s and how to effectively support and work with colleagues or customers with disabilities. It aims to build awareness for how disabilities can impact the lives of those that have them and others they interact with, while touching on legal obligations from the Equality Act 2010.
With half a day of discussion and interactive workshopping, this course aims to cover:
What is a Disability?
- Discussion about how disabilities are defined by different people, and how misconceptions and perceptions affect attitudes to disabilities
- Common disabilities that we might see every day
- The UK’s Equality Act 2010 definition of a disability (and what’s not covered)
- Physical disabilities that aren’t obvious and may only have intermittent impacts
- Mental disabilities: Temporary and permanent, where they can come from, and a look at how they can affect behaviour
- Learning disabilities: Some examples from mild to extreme, including discussion about how they are often undiagnosed
- Examples of stereotypes associated with disabilities
- How to avoid predicting what someone can or can't do
- Challenging stigma, listening to experts (including those with disabilities) and empowering individuals to define their own limits
- The legal obligations to avoid discrimination
- Good practice for your organisation to be disability positive
Breaking Down Barriers
- Creating safe spaces for discussion, for those with or without disabilities
- Challenging assumptions and stereotypes at work
Accessibility and Inclusion for You
A short activity to look at what you or your organisation can do (from small things to full action plans)
No dates are currently scheduled for this course.